Experience Virtual Reality Painting
Using Oculus Rift and Tilt Brush
Experience painting in three dimensions – something that Picasso would have loved – and sculpting in a way that Rodin couldn’t even have imagined in his wildest dreams! Enjoy a creative world of unlimited possibilities in which you can literally walk into and through your brush strokes. That is the amazing experiential immersive world of Virtual Reality (VR) that you will experience first hand using the Oculus Rift VR system and the Google Tilt Brush 3D painting program. As a twenty-five plus year digital paint veteran and pioneer, I am excited to guide you as you experience this revolutionary leap into the future!
Thank you again for the tour into the virtual world. What an amazing experience! ~ Anthony
This is truly for everyone no matter what background, experience, profession or age. Every single person I’ve seen put on the goggles and experience VR for the first time lets out a gasp of disbelief and usually accompanied by a loud “Wow!!!!” in their first moments in this amazing new world!
The introductory studio VR Art Experience cam, for instance, include:
- Overview of VR technology: historical context, the hardware and the software, a list of everything you need to get going from PC, monitor and video card to headset, sensors and touch controllers.
- Power tips on set up, usage and documentation.
- Terminology – understanding the difference between Virtual Reality (VR), Augmented Reality (AR) and Mixed Reality (MR).
- Introduction to the VR world (including the iconic First Contact experience).
- Introduction to the Rift lounge, interface and navigation.
- Introduction to Google Tilt Brush – understanding the brushes (choosing and controlling them), customizing the environment, moving around within the VR space (including the very cool teleporting!), zooming in and out and rotating your work, saving your work, watching it replay, exporting it and sharing it with others.
- Time to work on your own project.
- Tilt Brush files of your 3D creation (a folder usually comprising json, fbx and png files).
- Video of your creative process in action as you paint showing your view within Tilt Brush plus some externally recorded video of you painting.
The level can be adjusted to suit your experience. If you want more in-depth Tilt Brush training or art technique training, that can all be provided. Light refreshments will be served. Ideal for individuals and couples, this can also be suitable for small groups. Though only one person at a time can be immersed in the VR with the headset on, the others in the group can enjoy watching everything on a 55″ LED screen.
For Team Building and Company Off Sites the VR Experience can be combined with other creative tech-art activities such as iPad drawing. Such group activities will be customized to suit the group and quoted on a case-by-case basis. Email me to discuss a visit.
The screen shot at the top of this page shows a recent 3D painting project, “Gustavo” – a VR Portrait. Also see my sketch notes from the Future Presence book talk, a conversation between author Peter Rubin and Second Life founder Philip Rosedale.
Click here to see my 2017 VR-based live performance in Las Vegas.